New Employee Guide

Welcome to the University of Idaho Family! 

 This guide is an overview of the services available from the ITS department. Consult with other departments for assistance with other services.

1) Paperwork

Start by visiting Human Resources located on 415 W 6th Street to fill out your I-9 paperwork and other important documents.

2) Locate your Tech Support

It is time to meet your Technology Solutions Partner (TSP) or Local Support Team. The easiest way to find them is to go to If you already have an employee University of Idaho account, you can manage it by logging into In the case that you do not already have a University of Idaho Employee account and email, please contact your TSP or Local Support team so that they can help you set it up. Remember to ask them to check if your preferred email address is set to the one that you want.

Report an incident



If you are a brand new benefits-eligible employee, visit to request your employee VandalCard. For new temporary employees, have your supervisor send the request with your name, V-number and position.  Once your card is ready we will let you know and tell you were you can pick it up.  

Will you need access to any buildings on campus? Ask your department about adding building card access. Each department will usually have a designated gatekeeper who can add access to your VandalCard. 

Request VandalCard assistance



Email is offered to all UofI affiliates through Microsoft 365 and can be accessed through a web browser, Outlook, other mail applications, and on mobile devices. Log into with your UI username (NetID) and password to access your employee email. All email tutorials, including how to set up and access email, as well as use other features within the program, can be found on our email and messaging tutorial page.

Request email assistance



Your TSP or Local Support Team can also assist you in enrolling in DUO - Multifactor Authentication. This second layer of authentication is mandatory because it helps protect and secure your data. You can enroll or manage your devices by going to Please follow the onscreen instructions to enroll. To use your smart phone, make sure to download the DUO Mobile App from the Android/ iOS app store. You will need it to link the DUO Mobile app to your UI account by scanning the QR code that appears at the end of the enrollment process.    

Will you be working with high risk data? If the answer is yes, your machine will need to be encrypted using Whole Disk Encryption technology. Your TSP or Local Support Team can help you setup your Bitlocker PIN. Think of the Bitlocker PIN as a second password specific to a computer.



Once your Electronic Personal Action Form (EPAF) finishes processing and your UofI account is set up, you will have access to Vandal Web. To access Vandal Web, navigate to and login with your employee email and password. Vandal Web is where you will fill out your time sheet, complete FERPA Tutorial, and view/update other important work and personal information. Having issues accessing Vandal Web? Reach out to your TSP or Local Support contact for assistance.    

Request Vandal Web assistance


3) Technology in Classrooms

If you are teaching in a technology-enabled classroom, we have a number of guides to help you use the equipment. 

Using the Touch Panels in Multimedia Equipped Classrooms

Using the Video Conferencing Equipment in Certain Classrooms

Other Classroom Technology Resources

Reach out your TSP or Local Support contact if you would like to schedule in person training or have any questions about using the different technologies avaiable in classroms. We recommend that you take the time to familiarize yourself with the technology prior to the first day of class to maximize success and minimize stress. 

Technology issues can still happen in the classroom. The touch panels have an eHelp button instructors can use to send an alert out requesting assistance should an issue arise during class.        

Request classroom technology assistance

4) Applications & Access

Do you know what applications you will be using? Banner? Famis? Stellant?  Work with your supervisor to request the necessary access and training for these applications. Will you be working off campus? Certain UI resources, such as the shared drive and Banner can only be accessed by the UI Network. To access these resources while off campus, you will need to connect to the UI network through the VPN. Contact your TSP or Local Support Group to gain access to use the VPN. You will then need to install the Cisco AnyConnect Client on your computer in order to connect.

Sophos Home Anti-Virus

To protect your computer, ITS Security highly recommends installing Anti-Virus Software. UI offers licenses of Sophos anti-virus software to employees for UI machines, but Sophos now offers a free version of their anti-virus for personal computers: Sophos Home, which can be installed on Windows and Apple computers.

Office 365 Suite

Download Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and more through the Office 365 portal to use on your computer while you're working at the University of Idaho. Log in with your UI credentials and follow our tutorial for Apple or Windows. You can also use these applications online or on a mobile device. Your license will be valid for as long as you are employeed at the University.

Request software assistance

50% helpful - 2 reviews


Article ID: 256
Mon 1/29/18 3:47 PM
Thu 8/4/22 1:33 PM