Popular Services

I want information related to getting or using a Campus ID card (Vandal Card).

I need to connect to my University of Idaho resources (Banner, shared drives, etc.) from home or another location off campus.

I would like information on how to use Zoom video conferencing or set up a Zoom account.

Services provided by the Business Systems Team.

Advancement Data Services is the Advancement department that's responsible for entering, storing, securing, maintaining and retrieving most of the data related to the University of Idaho’s Alumni, supporters, donors and internal operations.

Request keys for buildings and rooms.

Request a new telephone service, phone, changes to existing service, fax support or a softphone.

Facutly and Staff use this service to purchase software or renew licensed software for their use on U of I owned computers, including Adobe software products such as Creative Cloud or Acrobat Pro DC.

I need to reset my Vandal account password.

Faculty and Staff use this service to request installation of software already available at the University of Idaho. This includes request for Microsoft Teams, adding software to vLabs, and, for Local Support/TSPs, to request software to be packaged and deployed by EMS.

To purchase a software license such as Adobe products (Acrobat Pro DC, Creative Cloud and individual applications) and Microsoft products (Power BI Pro, Project, Visio and Visual Studio) use New Software Procurement Request.

To get support for Administrative Applications (Banner, VandalWeb, Argos, etc.) see Administrative Applications.

For requesting U of I approved standard Apple and HP products or submitting non-standard item request for approval. If your hardware is broken or malfunctioning please submit an Incident Ticket.

ITS owned equipment that can be requested to be borrowed for short periods of time.

Argos services provided by Business Systems

Public Safety and Security provides access service and gatekeeper tools for campus buildings and resources.

I need to request help or ask a question about an Administrative Application

Reserve a space for a meeting, event or activity.

Submit your slides to run on the screens at the ISUB

Personal cloud storage for files.

I'm having trouble connecting to University WiFi

Request University Advancement constituent data.

University supported Enterprise Service Management and Portfolio and Project Management application.

Please complete this form to request proposal development service(s) from the Research and Faculty Development team.

Take away old, broken or outdated technology for you.

I need help or information about Integrating Applications

Faculty and staff requests for hardware support including moves, preparing technology for new employee, re-imaging a computer, consulting, etc.