Department Employee Onboarding Guide

Congratulations on adding a new member to our Vandal family!


It is an university goal for new employees to have a great start immediately on their first day; including logging into their computer with their account, having all the access they need. This guide is intended to help departments engage OIT to ensure the new employee has all the technology needs setup and ready when the employee first down at their desk.

  • It is not too early to consider the new employee’s computer needs during the recruitment process, especially if you believe a special order will be needed. OIT maintains an inventory of standard computers and accessories but there continues to be supply chain issues so give plenty of time to order and receive any unique computer.
  • Create a ticket for new employee services as soon as HR creates a V number. This allows for account creation and computer setup to be completed before the new employee’s first day. There are a few overnight processes that can take 48 hours to complete before the new account has full access.
Note: An account cannot be created until the new employee has a V# created by HR. During busy times it can take several days to get the V#.


New Employee Service

Use the New Employee Service to request multiple services for a new employee including university account/NetID, computer setup and phone setup. If you only need a university account/NetID you can submit a New Account request.



OIT needs the employee’s full name, V#, and start date to create an account. Preferred Account names will be accommodated when possible. It can take up to 48 hours for processes to complete before the account has full access including to university training modules.

Affiliate accounts are for individuals not employed by nor enrolled at the University of Idaho but need a Vandal account. An Affiliate EPAF must be submitted to HR to create a V# for someone needing a University of Idaho account. More information can be found on the Human Resources’ Banner & EPAF Resources Website.



Per University policy (30.16), computers must be cleaned of all data through OIT approved processes before it can be deployed to another employee. It is best practice to re-image a computer that has been in storage for any length of time to ensure it has all the latest software and updates. Put in the computer name and location of the re purposed computer in Additional Information if you have it.

You must submit a separate ticket if you need to purchase a computer and/or Software License like Adobe Acrobat or Creative Cloud. Do not forget to check accessories such as webcam or headset.



If your employee needs to make or receive calls from outside of the university, they need a physical phone. On the form, indicate if a physical phone is needed or if there is a physical phone already in the office. Supply the phone number if already assigned to the phone.


Vandal Card

The new employee can get a Vandal Card without leaving their office. They create a Vandal Card ticket and attach a photo. The Vandal card can be mailed to the employee. If you have an appropriate photo, you can create a ticket on behalf of the employee. For more information on the process and photo requirements see Vandal Card Service or knowledge base article, “VandCard – Frequently Asked Questions”.

Ask your department about adding building card access for the new employee. Each department will usually have a designated gatekeeper who can add access to the new employee's Vandal Card.




Article ID: 257
Mon 1/29/18 3:51 PM
Tue 7/11/23 3:40 PM

Related Articles (4)

Employee accounts (NetID) are not automatically created. Accounts must be requested for new employees once their HR paperwork is completed including their I9. OIT cannot create an account until an employee has a V#. Depending on the time of year, it can take up to 10 business days for paperwork to be completed and V# created. To have everything setup for an employee’s first day please submit service request as soon as you have a start date and V#.
Learn how to use the Tech Support Portal to find solutions and get IT services.
This article serves as a self help page that answers frequently asked questions about vandal cards, and other forms of University of Idaho identification.
Having an and an is important for student employees at the University. It helps protect a students education-related data and keep University business separate to maintain official University records and comply with U of I policy (in APM 30.10).

Related Services / Offerings (5)

For requesting U of I approved computers and equipment. If your hardware is broken or malfunctioning please submit an Incident Ticket.
New account request for new employees, temp-help, and others.
Use this to create a new Vandal email account, decide on a computer, and establish phone services for a new member of the Vandal family.
Facutly and Staff use this service to purchase software or renew licensed software for their use on U of I owned computers.
I want information related to getting or using a Campus ID card (Vandal Card).