How do I host webspace?

In This Article:


The university is does not provide personal web space by default. However, faculty and staff can request web space by demonstrating an academic need or purpose. Once the request has been approved, employees may access sites using CIFS, SFTP, Dreamweaver and more.

Request Webspace

This tutorial applies to the following operating system(s):



I am faculty/staff. How do I request web space?

For faculty and staff, the university can provide academic-related web space for things such as taught classes and an academic portfolio site. To request a web space, please contact your TSP or Sysad.

When making the request, we will need to know:

  • Your username
  • Why the request is being made
  • The address of the webspace you wish to have

 All university sponsored webpages are of the form

As such, requested webpages will be in the form:


I am a student. Can I get personal web space?

Information Technology Services no longer offers hosted web pages by default. Exceptions will be made for classes requiring HTML development, but a class-related space should be requested by the instructor. Individual students requiring a web page must demonstrate an academic need and obtain a professor sponsor before contacting ITS to request a hosted web page.

What are my options for personal webspace?

If you are interested in creating a blog, sharing photos, or generally developing an online identity there are numerous popular and free non-ITS services available to you including:

  • WordPress - The most popular web-hosting service is the free, which allows you to install multiple themes and features.
  • Weebly - Weebly's powerful drag and drop website builder and guided set up get you to the finish line faster, no coding needed.
  • Wix - Like Weebly, this site lets you design your website with draggable elements and a wide range of starting templates, no coding needed.
  • Google Sites – A new, free web-development service from Google that requires no HTML to create basic websites.
  • Blogger – Popular Google blogging system.
  • Flickr – Yahoo’s popular photo sharing site.


Article ID: 47
Wed 12/6/17 11:12 AM
Mon 6/13/22 10:05 AM

Related Articles (6)

Web space access procedures.
Information on how to access UI drives off campus.
This article explains the process of embedding a Qualtrics Survey in a webpage.
A tutorial on how to map U and S drives to a computer running Windows. It includes instructions using the QuickConnect tool, as well as manually mapping the drives.
This article describes how to mount U and S drives to a Mac running OSX.
This article explains the process to request a new S: Drive folder. It also explains the Structure of the S: Drive, and how to change the owner of a folder .

Related Services / Offerings (1)

Creation of general web space for classes or individual employees.