Email headers contain information about the origins of the email. This is especially important when it comes to spam messages, as it allows ITS to block spam messages at the source. If you encounter a spam message, forward it, along with its email headers, to email@example.com and the help desk will pass it on to the network team.
Retrieving the email headers is slightly different on each email client. Below, we list instructions on how to pull full email headers from the most common email programs.
Jump to instructions for:Microsoft Outlook 2010 Microsoft Outlook 2007 Outlook Web App for VandalMail Mail.app Thunderbird Entourage
Finding headers in Microsoft Outlook 2010
To find the full email headers in Outlook 2010:
- Double-click on the message, opening the message in a new window.
- From the ribbon, be sure the Message tab is selected, then click the small box with the arrow next to the Tags or Options section.
- The Properties window will open and display the email header.
- Send the email headers and a forwarded copy of the spam message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finding headers in Microsoft Outlook 2007
1. Right click on the message in question and click the message options item from the menu.
Finding headers in the Outlook Web App for VandalMail
To find the full email headers in the Outlook Web App for VandalMail:
- Double-click on the message, opening the message in a new window
- Select the Message Details icon at the top.
- The Message Details window will display the internet mail headers.
Finding email headers in Mail.app
- Open the Mail application email client.
- Select the message for which you need to view the header.
- Then select View from the menu bar. Go to Message > Raw Source.
- You will now see the full header of the original message you selected.
Finding email headers in Thunderbird
- Open the Thunderbird email client.
- Double click the message to open it in a separate window.
- Go to the View menu, then select Message Source. This will open the email header in a new window.
Finding email headers in Entourage
- Open the Entourage email client.
- Highlight the message.
- Go to the Message menu.
- Then click Internet Headers. (You may also select Source for a more detailed header).
- This opens the email header in a new window.
If you encounter any problems or have any further questions about this process, contact the ITS Help Desk by email at email@example.com, by phone at 885-HELP or in person at our main office in the Idaho Commons Building, TLC room 128.