How do I create a group email account?
When a user wants a group email address, they can send a request to ITS by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the name and V number of the owner as well as the reason the group is being requested. There will be only one owner of the group and this owner controls the permission settings for the group. The owner can then add and remove members, request SendAs rights, request ownership transfer to another member, etc. The members added to the group will receive any emails sent to the group, but unlike a functional account, there will be no inbox and no shared password for the group.
How do I respond to messages on behalf of the group?
To send an email from the group, the owner will need to request SendAs rights. SendAs rights can be granted for the entire group or for specific members. SendAs rights can only be granted by ITS and must be submitted via email to email@example.com with the names and V Numbers of the members needing SendAs rights.
How do multiple users access a shared web space?
Requesting a group for this process is the ITS recommended option, instead of a Functional Account. As the owner of a group, you can control who has the ability to access and edit the group website. Users will be required to use their NetID Username and Password when editing the site, instead of a universal and shared username and password. Users can find web space on the shared space: S:webpages.
Why do shared web pages require each user to login separately?
ITS has been encouraging users to use group accounts instead of functional accounts. Functional accounts create an inbox for the desired account, where users wishing to view and send emails must all login with the same account username and password. Group accounts on the other hand, have one owner who manages various members and their permissions. There is no inbox for the group and the owner can decide which members receive emails sent to the group and also request SendAs rights for all members or specific members.
How do I delegate permissions within groups?
Owners can easily manage groups from their Account Management page on the Support Site.
- Navigate to the Account Management page/ and login using your NetID Username and Password.
- Once logged in, under the Account Utilities menu, click Manage Groups from the left-hand menu. This page will list all the groups that you own and manage.
- Click the group for which you wish to manage permission settings.
- To remove a member from the group, select the members name from the Current Members box. Any member highlighted when you click Change Group Membership will be removed from the group. To remove multiple members at once, hold the Ctrl key when selecting member names.
- To add a member to the group, enter the persons NetID Username and click Change Group Membership when finished. You may add multiple members by separating usernames with a space and clicking Change Group Membership once finished.