Your account with the University of Idaho will now commonly be referred to as NetID. As technology changes and as the University of Idaho progresses, NetID will be the constant factor in your relationship with the University of Idaho and Information Technology Services.
Your NetID account is the primary account used throughout your professional relationship with the University of Idaho. All account holders can access Student Computer Labs, BbLearn, Unix shell services, websites, Email and other University services.
This account gives you access to the following services:
- Student Computing Labs
- Active Directory Services
- Unix Shell Services
- VandalWeb Registration
- AirVandalGold Wireless Network Services
Access to the University of Idaho’s ERP, or Administrative System, service is done using your NetID username and password. Access with this account is provided by the instructor when going through Banner training.
What is “Account Management”?
Account Management is the secure web page provided by ITS to change your passwords, setup e-mail forwarding, download antivirus software and access other “self-help” tools. You can login to this service on the web page https://www.sites.uidaho.edu/support/.
New Employees & Sponsored Accounts
University of Idaho employees will be assigned NetID’s by ITS. Your NetID is what you will use to access computers, VandalWeb, Banner, email, and a variety of other UI technologies.
Temporary Help accounts – All temporary help employees must have a sponsored account which requires a board-appointed employee from their department, preferably a supervisor, to email the ITS Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the employee’s Vandal number to request a sponsored account be set up for them. If they do not yet have a Vandal number, please email the Help Desk the employee’s full name, date of birth, mailing address, phone number and alternative email address of the new employee.
Board Appointed accounts – Board appointed employee account set-up should also be initiated by their department, however the person requesting these accounts does not need to be board-appointed. Please email the ITS Help Desk with the employee’s Vandal number or if they don’t have one, their full name, date of birth, mailing address, phone number and alternative email address. It is important to specify that the new employee is board appointed. ITS will set up an account for them which can exist for two weeks without a sponsor before it closes. During that two week period, the board-appointed paperwork should be finished processing through HR, which will exempt their account from expiring once it goes through.
*All account set-up requests need to be sent to email@example.com from an official uidaho.edu email address. ITS cannot accept requests from non-university email accounts. The university email address is the way we confirm the identity of the person making the request.
Network ID Password set-up
Employees have a variety of options to set their password once their account has been created. Brand new employees have two options to set a password, or a third if they are student with an open student account.
1. The password can be set up using an alternative email, and the employee can walk through the new student set-up located at help.uidaho.edu under new students. This also works for new employees. ITS will send a verification code to an alternative email address on record and provide guidance on setting up a new password. This is the option that off-site employees will need to utilize, so it is important to make sure that an alternative email is provided during the set-up request process.
2. Go to the Help Desk located at Idaho Commons TLC 128 with a photo ID, where one of the Help Desk staff will assist with set-up of the password.
3. If the new employee is a student with an open student account, they can log in with their student account credentials to help.uidaho.edu and click “Change Password.” All the accounts they currently have in their name, including the new employee account, will show up. They can deselect their student account and select their employee account to set the new password. Or if they want to sync both accounts to one password they can select both and set the password.
Any assistance needed for the account after that point, such as permissions to shared drives or VPN access should be directed to the Help Desk.